Barrington Mercury-free Dentist
Throughout early dental history, amalgam fillings were the norm. While this treatment option is still available in some dental offices today, there are numerous reasons for which patients are reconsidering their options. The use of dental amalgam has become controversial due to the inclusion of mercury as a binding agent to the other metals in this material. Regardless of the ongoing global discussion regarding the appropriateness of dental amalgam, we understand that an alternative makes sense purely on the basis of aesthetics.
A Mercury-Free Practice
Dr. Gavrilos prefers using tooth-colored porcelain for all restorations. Porcelain is proven strong enough to be used on back teeth, and the fact that metal-free fillings are bonded directly to enamel maximizes the strengthening effect of treatment. Dr. Gavrilos has had extensive training in the latest bonding technologies for porcelain inlays and onlays, and routinely uses this method of restoration for damaged teeth.
Benefits of Choosing a Mercury-free Dentist
- Structural integrity is maximized with durable porcelain dental restorations.
- There is less post-operative sensitivity with porcelain inlays and onlays than with amalgam fillings.
- Minimal tooth reduction is necessary.
- Composite bonding seals the tooth to protect it against further decay.
- Tooth-colored restorations blend in with surrounding teeth, making them completely discreet.
- Porcelain restorations are not likely to corrode over time, as the amalgam filling can.
If you have questions or would like more information about why we choose to be mercury-free, please call us or schedule a visit.